All Spartan Clips Disappeared

If you need help, this is the place to ask for it. No need to register.
KM1202

All Spartan Clips Disappeared

Postby KM1202 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:12 am

All of my saved info is gone and not appearing in Spartan. I have the most recent version of windows and of Spartan.
I can see what I think it an automatic backup under "spartan-data" in my files but I can't get them to appear in Spartan and my last saved backup was months ago and I have added a lot of new information since so restoring is not an option.

johnturnbull
Site Admin

Re: All Spartan Clips Disappeared

Postby johnturnbull » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:05 am

You have either......

Changed to a sheet with no clips on it.

or

Selected a new folder in the Backup and Restore dialog and chosen "Use this folder for data"

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:18 am

This same thing happened to me, but it happened after Spartan froze up (which it has been doing a great deal lately whenever I work with Excel 2010).
Anyway, as usual, I shut the program down via Windows 10 Task Manager because it was completely unresponsive. This time, however, when I started it back up it gave me a welcome message as if I had just installed it, I had a few sparse clips visible (which really freaked me out, as I thought all my important clips were gone), and all the sound preferences which I had silenced were now back to default. After digging around a bit, I found out that upon restarting, it somehow made all views default to "deleted clips." As I am working to reset the views to my preference, it gives the same error that it has been giving when I cut and paste multiple cells of data in Excel (see pic). Please help, not sure where to start in order to get this running smoothly again.
Attachments
2017-09-12.JPG
2017-09-12.JPG (22.46 KiB) Viewed 48 times

johnturnbull
Site Admin

Postby johnturnbull » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:23 am

The error message you show happens when Spartan cannot open one of its data files because the file has already been opened by another program. The usual culprit is an automatic backup system like Western Digital's Smartware.
See...... viewtopic.php?f=23&t=948

As for the hang up problem, presumably this has started recently. What has changed on your PC? One known problem with Excel is that it insists on making a graphic clip of the selected area every time you copy. If you have just changed to a Hi Res monitor, and you copy entire rows, this graphic clip can be very large. Spartan can take a long time to save these and can even run out of memory.
See... viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1137

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Thank you for the timely response! Is there a way to register so that I can receive email notification when a response is posted?

I use Carbonite. Is there a way to verify that this is the source of the problem? It has been happening quite a bit lately and I don't understand how Sparta files could be so consistently in use by Carbonite.

I do not have anything close to a Hi-Res monitor. Even so, Sparta definitely doesn't respond well when I use Excel for extended periods of time. Is there a way to set Sparta to do text only copying with a specific program?

That recent scare I had where I thought all my clips were gone has caused me to make backing up a higher priority, but I'm finding that now Spartan shuts down mid backup (see attach).
Attachments
2017-09-18 backup fail.JPG
2017-09-18 backup fail.JPG (107.69 KiB) Viewed 34 times

johnturnbull
Site Admin

Postby johnturnbull » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:35 am

Sorry about the lack of registration. I just don't have time to sit and delete all the adds for sex sites and Russian brides that the spam robots can then add!

If Carbonite backup is automatic then that is the problem! I'm not familiar with Carbonite but most other systems have an option to exclude certain folders from the automatic and to backup at a time chosen by you. You need to do this for the Spartan data folder.

There is no option to accept text only from one program.

I see that you are backing up to drop box. Are you by any chance also keeping your Spartan data in Drop Box? They are not compatible! See... viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1109

Return to “Help”